Sapele Architrave Torus
Sapele Architrave Torus timber is predominantly from West Africa, is a reddish-brown hardwood. Although some parts of the Sapele logs will produce straight-grain or 'quartered' effect, generally it has a more random grain appearance, thus meaning it is liable to interlocked grain. Interlocked grain spirals around the centre of the tree thus alternating intermittently and causing a 'rough' effect, this can generally be reduced if not eliminated by heavy sanding. Sapele is used for numerous mahogany like products, for example conservatories, door frames and solid wood doors, furniture and counter tops.
- Name: Entandrophragma cylindricum
- Origin: Africa
- Colour: Medium to fairly dark reddish brown
- Species: Tropical hardwoods
- Uses: Interior/exterior joinery, shop fitting, furniture, moderate to high traffic flooring
- Kiln Dried: Yes
- Moisture Content: 10-12%
- Durability: Moderately durable
- Exterior/Interior: Interior & exterior
- Grade: FAS
- Mean Density: 640 Kg/m3
- Works fairly well with hand and machine tools
- Tends to tear, interlocked grain in planing
- Saws easily
- Finishes well
- Good gluing and nailing properties
- Satisfactory peeling and slicing for veneers
- Moderate hardness and weight
- Medium bending and crushing strengths, not recommended for steam bending
- Seasons fairly rapidly but with a marked tendency to warp
- Very variable in drying properties, requires careful stacking
- Movement in service is rated as medium
- Furniture and cabinetwork
- Decorative veneers
What Is Architrave?
Architrave is the decorative timber mouldings fitted around the casings of internally doors, windows, and loft hatches - the purpose of architrave is to hide the joint between the wall/ceiling and the timber casings. It also hides any subsequent shrinkage and movement between the two.
Architrave should be fitted after all wall surfaces have been finished (but not decorated) and before fitting skirting board and doors.
EZT Mouldings is a leading independent timber merchant who source and import high quality timber species throughout the UK. Established in 1997 in Herefordshire, the company has continued to grow by investing in the latest technology and equipment for its workshops and also stock a large selection of hardwoods and softwoods.
At EZT Mouldings, our friendly highly experienced team have been engaged in the machining of timber all their lives and are on hand to offer knowledgeable advice on our extensive range of products and services.
Therefore meeting customer demand and consistently reviews its procedures to achieve greater efficiency.
EZT Mouldings are a leading online timber merchant in the UK, supplying American White Oak timber to the joinery, carpentry, construction and building trade at competitive prices.
CONTACT OUR TIMBER TEAM OR CALLING US ON 01544 327 794